Goes great with green beans sauteed with some garlic and red pepper flakes.
Acorn Squash Risotto
Recipe type: Main
- 1 acorn squash, skinned, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp each extra virgin olive oil and butter
- 3 oz pancetta, diced
- 2.5 cups each chicken stock and water, combined
- ½ onion, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In large oven safe saute pan over medium heat, heat oil and butter.
- Add squash and pancetta, cook 3 minutes.
- Place pan in oven for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make a side dish.
- Take saute pan out of oven, lower oven to warming temperature, keep side dish in oven if necessary.
- Remove squash and pancetta from saute pan, add more oil or butter if needed, saute rosemary and onions until translucent in pan.
- Meanwhile, bring chicken broth and water to simmer, keep warm.
- Add garlic and rice, saute 3 min, or until edges of rice are translucent.
- Deglaze with wine, cook until wine is absorbed.
- Add 1.5 cups of broth, cook until absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Add more broth in increments of 0.5 cups, cook until absorbed each time, until rice is done to your liking.
- Add squash and parmesan to the risotto. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more broth if risotto is too thick.
- Serve immediately.
Really cheap and tasty and somehow also elegant dish.