I am super good at following instructions!
- 100g unsalted butter, room temperature (about 1 stick)
- 65g icing sugar, sieve
- 2 eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g banana, mashed (about one medium banana)
- 125g cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup Nutella, or other chocolate hazelnut spread
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat room temperature butter and confectioner's sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs 1 tbsp at a time so as not to curdle the butter.
- Gently fold in mashed bananas and vanilla.
- Sift together flour and baking powder, and fold into butter mixture until incorporated, continue folding until glossy and smooth.
- Bake 20-25 min or until tester comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, beat cream cheese and confectioner's sugar together until smooth. Add all other ingredients and beat until thoroughly incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- After cupcakes are cool, top with frosting.
This started out as a recipe for pound cake. I don’t know what happened.
Well actually I do, it was because I do not own an 18 cm x 8 cm loaf pan. But I really wanted banana pound cake! So I did this instead and then topped it with a cream cheese frosting that has lemon and Nutella in it, since I was tired of boring cream cheese frostings with no pizzazz.
Texture was moist and fluffy, taste was banana-y but not overpoweringly so. The cakes rose splendidly, forming a perfect half sphere dome on top, which convinces me I did it right. Would make again.