Great side for Indian dishes.
- Bare Essentials ------------------------
- ½ sweet onion, small dice
- ⅓ lb tomatoes, diced
- ½ lb frozen pre-cut okra
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- Salt and Pepper
- Recommended Optionals ------------------------
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala spice
- Pinch crushed red pepper flake
- Heat some butter or oil over high heat until very hot. Add okra and saute 5 min until thoroughly thawed and halfway done.
- Add onions and garlic (and ginger if using) and saute 4 min or so. Add all your spices and seasonings here.
- Add tomatoes and cook 3-4 min.
- Off heat, add cilantro.
Whenever we make an Indian curry at home we always have this as a side, because okra is wonderful. Many recipes for this call for stewing the okra covered for a longer time, until the okra and onions are kind of … well, if you didn’t like it that way you would think of it as “overcooked”. I don’t really care either way, I think my shortened quick version is as tasty as the stewed version. Okra is just tasty.
If you have some Indian take out place or supermarket curry available, this side makes it a complete meal. It usually costs at least $8 to order in a restaurant, so if you can spare the time to make it at home, it’s pretty worthwhile.